Monday, August 17, 2009

Local Proxies with IE and Chrome

As I do web development, I often find it easier to setup a local proxy using Paros or Burp to more easily manipulate values being sent to the server. I usually use Firefox as my main web browser, and consequently almost exclusively setup Firefox to listen to the local proxy. The other day, I didn't feel like using Firefox, so I used IE instead and told it to use the local proxy I had setup using Burp. At the time, I also had Google Chrome running.

Everything went well for requests I had made using IE. Burp captured all requests and responses that were sent. Then I noticed another request/response that I didn't trigger through IE:
GET /msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
User-Agent: Microsoft-CryptoAPI/5.131.2600.5512
Host: www.download.windowsupdate.com
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache



HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Length: 18
Content-Type: text/plain
Accept-Ranges: bytes
ETag: "0e4bf26aecac91:803b"
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Age: 9261
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:00:35 GMT
Last-Modified: Fri, 01 May 2009 22:42:48 GMT
Connection: keep-alive

1401C9CAAE2685483A
I'm not sure yet if it's IE sending this request, or some other program/service that is looking for windows updates.

I did notice, however, that all requests/responses sent through Google Chrome also get captured by the local proxy I had setup for IE with Burp. Not only do all Chrome requests get captured, but so do all http requests sent by all Visual Studio Express products (probably Visual Studio as well). I'm sure there are tons of other requests as well that would be captured by doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment